20 June 2014

Speedy DIY: TV center

As we were watching the Netherlands vs. Spain World Cup match, an impulsive idea popped into my head. Our "media center" is a custom-built shelf space that was constructed for the old tube-style square-shaped TV's.  Sylvia's TV didn't fit into it so it went into the basement and my TV just had enough room to slip in.  We have gathered ideas and talked to a contractor about rebuilding that whole space and making it into something useful and better-looking.  But after a year of watching the little TV and having a bigger one collect dust in the basement, I finally cracked.  I said, "At half-time, I'm going to switch out the TV's and cut out a piece of that wall so the bigger one fits."  So, at the whistle, I was in motion.  Old TV pulled out, new TV brought up, circular saw plugged in.  Problem 1: my circular saw isn't working right. I noticed this the last time I used it.  It doesn't seem to have enough power and the blade binds up all the time.  This caused the plan to go slower than I'd anticipated.  And it also forced me to physical break out the piece after I'd made the top and bottom cuts.  Problem 2: I had not planned on having to "Autoprogram channels" once the new TV was hooked up. That process took like 20 minutes.  So I missed most of the second half.  
The good news was three-fold:  
1- Netherlands went on a goal-scoring romp in the second-half and crushed the defending champions.  
2- Once the hole was filled with the new TV, you couldn't really even see the gruesome hack job behind it. 
3- We are watching A LOT of World Cup and are loving the bigger TV.

All the more incentive to get moving on the real makeover project!

4 comments:

  1. My kind of project... just get the saw and see what happens!! :)
    Plus my team is winning in the world cup--GO DUTCH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12 minutes! who tries to complete a project like this in 12 minutes? hilarious process. had some good laughs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. All too familiar a story….it's in your genes, sorry! Somewhere in the world there is an oak "entertainment center" with a large hole in the back to allow my tv to fit. I didn't even bother with a saw…just pull and crack. I don't think I'm allowed a circular saw, but it sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete